Zinc is a mineral that is crucial for optimal health and wellbeing. It is found in the cells throughout our bodies and helps the immune system fight off invading bacteria and viruses. The body also needs zinc to make proteins and DNA and to grow and develop properly. Zinc also helps wounds heal and is important for proper senses of taste and smell.
Zinc should be included in any healthy daily regimen, but zinc supplementation is particularly great for treating inflamed acne (acne vulgaris, cystic or hormonal acne). Here is a list of reasons why zinc is an effective treatment for acne:
- Zinc is an anti-inflammatory for the skin and inflammation is one of the causes of acne. It also promotes the metabolism of omega-3 fatty acids which also helps reduce inflammation.
- Zinc kills acne causing bacteria
- Zinc is an antioxidant.
- Zinc aids apoptosis, programmed cell death which is a natural part of your skin renewing itself. If apoptosis is delayed, as in the case of zinc deficiency, skin cells stick together instead of dying and sloughing off like they should, which leads to clogged pores
- Zinc reduces keratinocyte activation. Keratinocytes are cells that produce keratin, a tough protein that binds skin cells together. Too much keratin prevents cells from separating and leads to blocked pores, as is the case in acne. By reducing keratin, zinc helps to keep skin pores open.
- Zinc helps with the absorption for other elements which cure acne, vitamin E for example
Signs of zinc deficiency
Zinc deficiency is common, affecting close to 25% of the global population. Here are some common signs:
- White spots on your fingernails
- Dry skin
- Frequent colds
- Hair loss
- Low sex drive
Supplementing with zinc for acne
Zinc helps improve most causes of acne. We recommend Zinplex Forte Tablets for cases of more severe acne. Zinplex Forte contains vitamin A, which is not recommended during pregnancy. For an alternative that is just as effective we recommend the Zinplex Triple Tablets which contain 25mg of elemental Zinc.